Cultivated Marketer Ep. 8 – Looking Back, Forward
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Welcome to CultivatED Marketer …
In this eighth episode of CultivatED Marketer, hosts Brent Bowen and Matt Tidwell, PhD, aren’t interviewing a new guest. Instead, they decide to take a reset, reflect on the guests they’ve had over the past six episodes, and look forward to what’s coming up next.
CultivatED Marketer Ep. 8
Brent and Matt reflect on the CultivatED Marketer guests and note how each brought different stories and experiences along with them — many of which are related to the themes of change and transition.
- Mike Swenson (Ep. 6 and Ep. 7) shared how he started his career in the traditional news journalism industry, moved into politics, and then became a marketer and agency leader for decades.
- Matt and Brent agree that change is the only constant in marketing, and they discuss Angie Pastorek (Ep. 4) who transitioned into academia from her professional career in marketing.
- As they consider what role academia can play in educating the future marketers of the world, Matt and Brent mention Kathryn Lorenzen (Ep. 3), a recruiter who shared tips for young professionals and what employers are really looking for.
- Matt and Brent discuss the notion of being a “Ben Zobrist” utility player in marketing, and they agree that being a specialist in some area is becoming increasingly important. Brent then recalls Ben Heisler (Ep. 5) from Sports Illustrated and mentions that he should really be there if they’re going to talk sports.
- Ben Heisler was someone who needed to re-invent himself after being laid off from his previous job during the pandemic. For Ben, it came down to an interest and an aptitude that allowed him to demonstrate his skills and land his current job.
- The podcast’s first guest, John Hall (Ep. 2), provided great tips about how to develop authentic relationships and being top of mind.
Upcoming CultivatED Marketer Guests
- Grant Gooding — The CEO of PROOF Positioning and an emotional data expert. He’ll share his take on professional development and analytics from an emotional data perspective.
- Jessica Best — VP of Data-Driven Marketing at Barkley and previously worked at emfluence. Her specialty is email marketing — for anyone who thinks it isn’t effective, Jessica would beg to differ.
- Kristen Petrillo Majdanics — Senior VP of Marketing for Firehouse Subs. She will share her experience in B2C marketing and likely talk about what it’s like in the restaurant industry during a pandemic.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!